Field School Prototyping
Developing field school curricula.
We're beginning to sketch out an informal 'field school' curriculum, intended for both adults and kids, and focused on skills and projects relevant to climate adaptation, local food production, and community resilience.
The working thesis behind this project is that the development of skills relevant to a lower-energy, 'post-carbon' world -- e.g., learning to grow, prepare, and preserve food; salvaging, repairing, and repurposing old equipment; building DIY musical instruments -- is also simply 'good pedagogy', regardless of what the future holds.
Some related projects / precedents:
Field School Topics
A preliminary list of possible topics around which to develop workshops and collaborations is below.
- Food preservation
- Mini underground cold storage
- Cold frame building
- Community plots / raised beds
- Crops in water-saturated field
- Mobile greenhouses
- Mobile chicken coop
- Cooking outdoors
- Outdoor kitchen and handwashing station
- Seed starting
- Bug-proof netting
- Wood stove construction
- Hot tub
- Drip irrigation
- Rain barrel collection (expand to tarp-fed, greenhouse-fed)
- Small pond / reservoir
- Solar panels + charging + batteries
- Energy estimates and arithmetic
- Off-grid GPS
- Building musical instruments
- Preparing food for a large gathering
Example classes and workshops
Intro to welding
Intro to seed starting
Musical instrument making
Mobile chicken coops